Roleplaying For Dummiz
Hey! Not a member yet of Roleplaying for Dummiz? Join! Already a member? They log-in you silly goose! ^_^
Roleplaying For Dummiz
Hey! Not a member yet of Roleplaying for Dummiz? Join! Already a member? They log-in you silly goose! ^_^
Roleplaying For Dummiz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roleplaying for Dummiz is a simple site to express your feelings and thoughts through writings, and through other people! Here you can Roleplay from a tremendous amount of Catergories, and along the way you will be sure to make new friends! Just have fun!

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it!

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
∗*∗ṩραɾкωσℓƒ*∗*
Drafter
Drafter
∗*∗ṩραɾкωσℓƒ*∗*

Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it! Empty
PostSubject: Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it!   Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 5:10 pm

Chapter one

Claire Embry was a seemingly ordinary girl, living an ordinary life, with an ordinary family. She had straight, waist-length, red-brown hair, vibrant blue eyes, and light, fair skin. A rather bookish girl, and also very shy and reserved, she would usually rather be reading a good book rather than hanging out with the few friends she did have. She and her family lived in the Lower Peninsula of Michigan, in the middle of a large forest. Fourteen years old, she had just started high school after being homeschooled since first grade.

Claire thought that she must have the dullest life on the planet. Nothing exciting ever happened; and if it did, the excitement didn’t last for very long until life turned boring again. For example, Claire’s average weekday: wake up, go to school, come home, hang out with her family and/or friends, do homework and chores, prepare for the next day, then go to bed. It was always like this. Day after day after day… She realized everyone else she knew had pretty much the same daily life, but they did not really mind all that much. For her, it was maddening. In the summer, sometimes the Embry’s took vacations; and when they did, they went to fun places like California or Florida, Disney World, or maybe just a log cabin beside a lake. It was always a ton of fun no matter where they went, but as soon as they came home again, it was back to the boring, and then eventually back to school.

She sighed now as she was thinking this. High school, she thought. Such a pain. So much work! She had not wanted to quit homeschool, but her parents decided it would be better to put Claire back in public school, as they were falling behind in a few subjects. Claire grudgingly agreed, because she knew it was necessary. Now it was the 10th of October, Thursday, and she was still trying to get back in the swing of things in public school.

The first two weeks had been really hard on her. She would come home exhausted, very thankful to be home again, and she would go up to her room and cry out all the held back tears. Please Lord, she would pray, don’t make me do this. I can’t handle it. Let Mom and Dad take me out of public school. I hate it! It’s too much for me. I can’t do this!

After a while, it got easier. But another problem Claire had in school: making friends. Claire was very reclusive, and didn’t talk much to people other than her family. She was very awkward in social situations and often tried to avoid them. Also, there seemed to be a lot of idiots in high school, so that limited her “options” with friends. She was not exactly girly, so that didn’t help with her making friends with the girls. She tried with the guys, and was more successful. But she still did not have many friends from high school.

Her stomach grumbled. It was eight o’clock and Claire realized she hadn’t had dinner yet. It was a make-your-own-dinner night, so she went downstairs and into the kitchen. She opened the refrigerator, and wrinkled her nose. Boy, something really smells in here. She took out a pan of leftover ziti and closed the door of the fridge.

When she was done with her meal, it was 8:30. Her older brother, Eric, had come down to eat too. For his amusement, she pretended to be a “weeping angel” from the television show Doctor Who; she only moved when he wasn’t looking. He grinned, and she tried to hold back a laugh. Very un-weeping angel like.

“Hey, do you know where Blythe is?” Claire asked her brother. Blythe, their dog, had not run up to meet her as he normally did when she came down stairs.

Eric shrugged. “Dunno, haven’t seen him.” Claire frowned and called, “Blythe! Here boy!” When the dog did not come, Eric did the same.

“Maybe Dad took him for a ride in the car,” Eric suggested. “He just went out to get gas and a couple things from the store. Oh yeah, and I wanted to show you something…” He ran upstairs to fetch whatever it was. Curious, Claire walked over to the stairs and waited for him to
come down.

She was very surprised when he did. Eric came down holding something bright red-orange. He grinned at her shocked face. “Yeah, I know,” he said. “That was my reaction too when I saw it.” It was kind of oval shaped, about the size of a milk gallon jug, and a fierce, fiery orange. What intrigued Claire the most was that it was covered in strange – and really beautiful - swirling designs all over the outside.

Claire just stared at it, completely astonished. “Where did you get this, Eric? And what is it? Some sort of gemstone? Gosh, it’s simply gorgeous, but what is it? What if… Oh, Eric, what if this belongs to someone? Wouldn’t this be stealing? What if they go to the police and ask them to find it, and then they’ll search our house and they’ll find it and we’d be arrested for theft and go to jail and-”

Eric laughed. “Whoa, whoa, whoa there! Just relax; we’re not going to jail. I found this buried in the ground in the forest. The dirt didn’t look disturbed at all, and there was grass growing over it, so it had probably been there for quite a while.” He looked down at the strange stone thing and scratched his head. “And as to what it is, I haven’t a clue.”

Claire snorted and asked, “Why were you digging around in the forest anyway?”

“I was fishing and I needed more worms.”

“Ah.” Eric fished a lot in the river near their house, so this was no surprise. He usually went two or three times a week.

Claire tucked a loose strand of hair behind one ear, picked up the… whatever it was, and studied it. It felt a lot lighter than it seemed it should. “Sure it’s not a problem if we keep this?”

Eric rolled his eyes. “If anyone wanted it still, they wouldn’t have buried it, now would they? Who knows,” his eyes sparkled with mischief, “it could be cursed or something. Maybe that’s why they threw it away.”

It was Claire’s turn to roll her eyes. Eric laughed. “Honestly, you think that would scare me? Remember who you’re talking to? I would love it if something funky like that would be going on with this, um… thing.” She looked at it again, trying to think of a word for it. She held it in one arm, running her fingers along the thin, swirly grooves.

Just then, the front door opened, and a cheerful looking man walked in. From behind him, the little dog called Blythe came charging past, tail wagging. Claire bent down to scratch the energetic puppy’s ears, then looked up and said with a smile, “Hey Dad.”

He smiled back and said “Hi,” with a little wave. “I see Eric showed you the stone thingamabob.”

She glanced down at it. “Yeah. Pretty, isn’t it? I love the orange.” She turned to Eric. “Hey Eric, do you think I could borrow this? Just for tonight. I want to study it some more.”

“Sure, you can keep it. Not much I could really do with a big pretty rock.” He grinned at her. “Let me know about any major scientific
breakthroughs, okay professor?”

Blythe barked suddenly. Claire turned her head to see what he was barking at. Apparently, the stone which she still held cradled in her arms. “Shhh, Blythe, it’s just a big stone, don’t worry.” He kept barking in his cute little “growoof”, which started as a growl then turned into a bark. Their dad came into the kitchen and let the dog outside, where he continued to bark but was slightly muffled.

Dad sighed. “He wouldn’t stop barking at it before. That’s why I took him with me when I went out, just to give him a break.”

“Dunno why he would bark at it… It’s just a rock.”

“Maybe it’s because it’s such a violent shade of orange, and he feels offended ‘cause dogs can’t see orange,” suggested Eric.

Both Claire and their dad looked at him. Claire raised an eyebrow. Eric just shrugged.

Claire laughed and shook her head. She turned her wrist and looked at her watch. The little screen displayed 8:52 p.m. She looked at the stone she held, then said “Seeya” to her dad and her brother, and went upstairs to her room to do some homework.

Cramped in its dark encasement, a sentient creature – ancient, though it had yet to enter the world of the living – was beginning to stir. It felt more wakeful now than it had for thousands of years. It was dimly aware of noises coming from outside its tight confinement. The being was barely conscious, and it did not understand the sounds. The sounds were voices, though it did not know to whom or what they belonged, and it could not comprehend their words.

Somewhere in the creature’s mind a tiny alarm clock was ringing; it subconsciously knew its slumber would come to an end very soon.

Last edited by rmf711 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
EpiclyErik
Author
Author
EpiclyErik

PostSubject: Re: Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it!   Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 6:30 pm

This looks pretty good! Very Happy Love the Doctor Who reference too xD
Back to top Go down
∗*∗ṩραɾкωσℓƒ*∗*
Drafter
Drafter
∗*∗ṩραɾкωσℓƒ*∗*

PostSubject: Re: Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it!   Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 7:23 pm

Haha, thanks! Glad you like it! Razz
Back to top Go down
∗*∗ṩραɾкωσℓƒ*∗*
Drafter
Drafter
∗*∗ṩραɾкωσℓƒ*∗*

PostSubject: Re: Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it!   Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 7:25 pm

Holy crud I just realized...
xD I didn't intend to use your name, so don't think it was a reference to you or whatever; when I chose that name, I hadn't even heard of this website yet. derp xP
Back to top Go down
EpiclyErik
Author
Author
EpiclyErik

PostSubject: Re: Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it!   Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 7:38 pm

Lol XD I didn't think it was meant to me. Quite the coincidence though xD
Back to top Go down
∗*∗ṩραɾкωσℓƒ*∗*
Drafter
Drafter
∗*∗ṩραɾкωσℓƒ*∗*

PostSubject: Re: Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it!   Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 7:39 pm

Lol I know right? x3
Back to top Go down
EpiclyErik
Author
Author
EpiclyErik

PostSubject: Re: Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it!   Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 7:42 pm

Lol yeah XD totally
Back to top Go down
∗*∗ṩραɾкωσℓƒ*∗*
Drafter
Drafter
∗*∗ṩραɾкωσℓƒ*∗*

PostSubject: Re: Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it!   Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 7:44 pm

Imma post the next chapter now :l
Back to top Go down
∗*∗ṩραɾкωσℓƒ*∗*
Drafter
Drafter
∗*∗ṩραɾкωσℓƒ*∗*

PostSubject: Re: Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it!   Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 7:56 pm

Chapter two

Bleep bleep bleep bleep! Claire’s alarm clock was going off. She groaned and sat up in bed. Morning already? She had been having an awesome dream. She dreamt that the orange stone had grown large enough for her to sit on, and had sprouted wings. She would ride on top and she would soar through the sky. The giant, winged stone then shot fire and burned down the awful prison they called high school, with her shouting and cheering and whistling from atop the stone’s back.

But sadly, it had only been a dream, and she still had to go to school.

“Claire? Claire!”

She jerked herself awake and shouted randomly, “Forty two!”

“Yes,” said Ms. Adams, “the area of a parallelogram with a base of 7 inches, a side of 9½ inches, and a height of 6 inches, is indeed 42 square inches. Nice to know you were paying attention.”

Claire sighed and tried to pay better attention. She absentmindedly
doodled on her geometry notebook. Throughout the day, she caught herself daydreaming about the stone. Her life being so boring, her brother finding a strange, beautiful stone in the forest was probably the most interesting thing that had happened in a long time. (Of course, that wasn’t really true, but it was very uncommon for something as random as this to happen in her normal life.) So it occupied a large portion of her thoughts most of the time.

She looked at what she had doodled. It was - who would’ve guessed? - the stone. She realized she was probably obsessing a little bit over it. There’s no point in getting excited about it, she told herself. It’s just a rock. A pretty and possibly valuable one at that, but still a rock nonetheless.

She looked down at her watch. It was 11:39. Finally. The bell would ring in a minute, signaling the end of fourth hour. Next hour was band. She played clarinet, and was co-first chair with a guy named Jacob. He was pretty cool, and she’d been sitting next to him since 7th grade, so they were pretty good friends.

The bell rang and Claire jumped up from her chair, grabbed her books, and headed out the door and towards the band room. She went to her band locker, took out her clarinet case, put in her school books, closed the locker, and walked into the room.

As she was walking past the percussion, she smiled and waved at a friend of hers, Ashley, who played bassoon. Ashley grinned and waved back eagerly. It made Claire feel a bit more cheerful to be greeted by a friend. She had no friends in geometry, nor the class beforehand, and band seemed sort of like an escape from the loneliness and the need to pay close attention as the teachers droned on about subjects she didn’t care about.

There was only one other class that was not like that, and only the one that she enjoyed as much as band: Spanish. Claire loved learning Spanish, and both Ashley and Jacob were in that class, along with another of Claire’s friends named Alex. Also, the teacher was really cool. All Mr. Whitaker’s students loved him. He made learning Spanish fun, while still being an effective teacher. And, in the beginning of the year, when Claire had been overwhelmed by all the homework and schoolwork and… well, basically everything about school, Mr. Whitaker had taken it easy with the homework for her. She noticed it when the class was turning in homework, and she had only turned in a little over half as much as everyone else. She told Mr. Whitaker about this, and asked if she had missed an assignment. He said no, that he had just been trying to ease her work load a little.

He told her that he himself had been homeschooled when he was a kid, and he remembered how hard it was to adjust to public school again. Claire was very surprised at this, and she felt strangely connected to the teacher in a way. She realized that he always seemed to understand her more than all the other teachers. Claire liked Mr. Whitaker a lot.

Freedom! She wanted to shout as she stepped off the bus with her brother. Only Eric rode the bus home with her; their older brother, David, was in college. Claire glanced back to check that Eric was coming, then ran to the front steps of their house, opened the door and went in.

Their mom called to them in greeting from her office. Claire called back, and headed into the kitchen to get a snack.

David was in the living room playing a video game on their Xbox 360. He turned in his seat when he heard Claire, and said “’ello.” Claire responded with a “hiya” and proceeded to get her snack. She grabbed an apple and took a large bite out of it.

Then her mother came in the kitchen, getting a cup of coffee. She asked Claire, “How was school?”

“Dull, as usual. Nearly fell asleep in geometry…”

Mom laughed. “I guess I can’t blame you; it really is boring enough sometimes.” She added a bit of milk to her coffee. “I’m surprised; Eric didn’t come running into the kitchen to get a snack as he usually does.”

Just then, Eric walked in and strode directly towards the refrigerator. Claire smirked. “Spoke too soon, I guess.” She then turned and left the kitchen, and bounded up the stairs to her room.

When she walked into her room, she saw immediately that the beautiful orange stone was not in the place she had left it. That morning
she had set it down on the left side of her bed near the pillow, but now it was on the floor by the opposite side.

Claire frowned and picked up the stone. She did a quick study and analysis of it, and deduced that it hadn’t changed at all since earlier. Troubled by how it had moved, she took a bite out of her apple, then went downstairs again. She asked her mom and brothers if they had moved it, but they all said no. She went back upstairs.

She picked it up, sat on the bed, and held it in her lap. “A very curious thing, you are,” she whispered to the stone. “Arrived mysteriously, moved mysteriously… what next? What other surprises do you have in store?”

As if in response, it shook.

Claire gasped and dropped the stone, standing up. It landed with a thud and lay on the floor, motionless. She stared at it, shocked and startled. It rattled again and she jumped in surprise. She started walking backward slowly, away from the stone. It wobbled some more and tipped over onto its side, where it rolled back and forth slightly with each tremor. She walked slowly over to the door, eyes still glued to the stone, and felt around for the door knob. She had to tell Eric about this. But just as she was turning the handle, the shaking stopped.

Claire paused for a second, then released the door knob. She walked tentatively over to the stone; she reached down, jumped back, realized it hadn’t moved, then reached down again and picked it up.

She sat on her bed and - for what seemed the millionth time - looked it all over. She pressed her ear to the stone to see if she could hear anything: silence. She held her breath, which had quickened quite a bit, and listened harder: still nothing. She frowned at it. This is too weird, she thought. It’s a stone. It’s just a stone, and yet it’s moving. That’s not possible. How is this possible!

It shook again. She squealed and dropped it on her pillow. Very alarmed, Claire jumped up and left her room, intending to find Eric. He would want to know about this.

She checked in Eric’s room, saw he was not there, then dashed downstairs, yelling, “Eric!” He was in the kitchen watching David’s video game and having a bowl of cereal.

He looked up at her. “No neda fout, um wide heah,” he said through a mouthful of Raisin Bran. “Wadih yowand?”

“What?” Claire couldn’t understand him.

Eric swallowed and said, “No need to shout, I’m right here. What do you want?”

“Just come upstairs with me.”

“Can I at least finish my cereal first?”

“Sure, whatever.”

Claire waited impatiently as Eric ate his cereal, then rinsed off the bowl. “Come on, let’s go!” she said, and grabbed his arm and dragged him toward the stairs.

“Okay, jeez Claire, what is it!” Eric exclaimed as she pulled him upstairs and into her room. She walked to her bed, pointed at the stone, and looked up at Eric. “…What?” he said after a moment of nothing happening. Claire looked back at the stone. It was just sitting on her pillow being perfectly still.

She frowned and told Eric that it had been shaking. He laughed. “Yeah, okay. You expect me to believe that?” He rolled his eyes and turned to leave.

“No, Eric, I’m serious, it really did!” She took a step forward and reached out with a hand. He looked back at her with an amused smile and said, “Claire, it’s a rock. Rocks don’t move. You know that just as well as I do.” He turned and walked out of her room.

“But… but…” she protested weakly as he left. But it did move. Why don’t you believe me? She thought about that for a second, and reasoned that it was kind of hard to believe – an inanimate object moving around on its own. She knew she would not have believed it if she had not seen it herself. It was impossible and she imagined it probably defied the laws of physics or reality or something like that, but that didn’t stop the fact that it had happened. Laws of reality or none, the stone had still moved. Her brother’s words came back to her- “Who knows; it could be cursed or something.” Perhaps Eric had been right without even knowing it. And if not cursed, maybe it was – no, it couldn’t be, that’s silly… magical? She thought about that for precisely two seconds before she scoffed and told herself, Honestly Claire, magic? You’re crazy! Magic doesn’t exist. Only in fairy tales. She shook her head of the thought and went to do something that would take her mind off the stone. She picked up a random book, flipped to a random page, sat down at her desk and started reading.

As she read, she frequently glanced at the beautiful orange stone which was lying so sinisterly on her bed. Every now and then it would shake, and she would jump.

Later that evening, the stone had another bout of shakes like the one before. She grabbed the stone and was taking it to Eric to show him, but it stopped as she was going down the stairs, so he didn’t get to see. Other than that, the stone was quiet all night.

But then came the morning, and it was far less quiet.

Claire was yanked from her sleep in the middle of the night by a strange sound. Her eyes automatically snapped to her alarm clock: 3:26 a.m. She jumped out of bed and turned on the light, then looked around for what was making the sound. She found it quickly; it was the box she had put the stone in last night to keep it from moving. She lifted off the lid and saw the stone shaking again, more than it had before. She picked it up and sat on the bed, holding it tightly, trying to stop it from shaking, though she wasn’t sure that would work. It seemed determined to shake
no matter how much she resisted it.

Then it squeaked.

She thought that the shaking was bad enough, but now squeaking too? How else would this stone figure out how to annoy her? It’s just a stone! A stupid stone, for crying out loud! How can it be doing this?! She glared down at the fiery orange oval-ish sphere, which was glinting up at her. She shoved it off her lap, stood up, and paced across the floor. She stopped and knelt by her bed, staring at the stone with hard, bright blue eyes, as if daring it to do something else to piss her off.

It squeaked again, and then ever so faintly, there was another sound. Claire couldn’t hear what it was, so she put her ear closer to the stone. Another squeak. Then she heard the other sound again: some sort of a cracking sound. She took her ear back. Hey, she mused, from this angle it looks kind of like –

Another cracking sound, louder this time. And another. Then Claire saw something at the top of the stone, and she turned it around so she could see. She was shocked to see that the whole side of the stone was covered in cracks. She finished her thought: looks kind of like an egg. There was a bright light coming from the cracks, and she shielded her eyes slightly with a hand.

One more big crack, and the stone-egg thing split in half; and out flopped…

A dragon.
Back to top Go down
EpiclyErik
Author
Author
EpiclyErik

PostSubject: Re: Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it!   Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 8:23 pm

Oh snap o.o it's getting intense now. Haha xD
Back to top Go down
∗*∗ṩραɾкωσℓƒ*∗*
Drafter
Drafter
∗*∗ṩραɾкωσℓƒ*∗*

PostSubject: Re: Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it!   Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 8:26 pm

Oh, you just wait until the next chapter! Mwuahahahahaha!
Back to top Go down
EpiclyErik
Author
Author
EpiclyErik

PostSubject: Re: Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it!   Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 8:34 pm

Oh jeeze. The intense drama continues Surprised haha
Back to top Go down
∗*∗ṩραɾкωσℓƒ*∗*
Drafter
Drafter
∗*∗ṩραɾкωσℓƒ*∗*

PostSubject: Re: Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it!   Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 8:40 pm

x3 lol
Back to top Go down
EpiclyErik
Author
Author
EpiclyErik

PostSubject: Re: Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it!   Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 8:47 pm

Haha xD
Back to top Go down
∗*∗ṩραɾкωσℓƒ*∗*
Drafter
Drafter
∗*∗ṩραɾкωσℓƒ*∗*

PostSubject: Re: Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it!   Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it! I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 9:24 am

(part of) Chapter three

Claire could only stare, wide eyed and open mouthed, as the strange, beautiful, terrifying, wonderful little creature wandered around her room at 3:30 in the morning. Though she had woken only a few minutes ago, she felt wide awake. Her head was buzzing with thoughts- no, not thoughts, the attempts of thoughts. She didn’t know what to think. She tried to make some sort of sound – a scream maybe? – but the sound just choked and died in her throat.

The little dragon looked up at her. She was in awe. It was the most stunning thing she had ever seen; its scales were the same fiery orange as the egg it had come from – though they were even more beautiful, because they were slightly lighter and yellower at the top of the scale, and then faded to orange, and at the sharp tip of the scale it was more rosy. The lovely, warm hues made her look like a sunset; or more like a thousand sunsets, with the beautiful pattern repeated on each scale. Not only that, but they were also very shiny, so its scales looked like a thousand orangey gems covering its entire body. The membranes on its wings were bright, dandelion yellow, matching the sun-kissed colors of its scales. Along its back it had a webbed spine, the same color as her wings, with black spikes. Its eyes were very intriguing – green on one side of the pupil slit, which was much like that of a cat’s, and teal on the other side. It had black claws that stood out very obviously against the bright orange and yellow.

It started walking towards her, and she backed up, afraid. It sat down and looked at her strangely, as if to say, what are you afraid of? She hesitated, then knelt down so she was more on the dragon’s level. It walked forward slowly this time, as if it knew she was scared of it, and sat a few inches away from her knee. Claire suddenly felt brave and, though still wary, reached out and touched the dragon’s head. It took a few steps closer, and Claire took her hand back. It seemed to smile up at her, and she couldn’t help but grin. She touched it again and it jumped into her lap, surprising her. “Hey there, little guy,” she whispered. It acted as if it was no different than a strange looking cat.

She wasn’t so frightened anymore. It rubbed its head against her, much like a cat would, and she scratched its head. It seemed to like its scales being scratched a lot. Claire moved her attention to its wings – she had never seen anything like it. They were like a bat’s wings, and when she touched them they felt kind of leathery. But they were bright
orange and yellow, and they were huge! Bigger than the dragon itself.

This was even more impossible than the shaking stone, she realized.
But she didn’t care anymore, not really. This was awesome. She’d read books with dragons in them, and she had always liked and admired them, but this was different. This was like she was actually living in a story book. A dragon! A real live dragon!

She only hoped it wasn’t one of the kinds of dragons that wanted to eat you.

The hatchling made a loud wailing sound and Claire stiffened. Someone might hear. If anyone found out about this, what might they say? What would they do? Would they take the dragon away to a laboratory or something, to do all kinds of tests on it? To them it would seem a freak of nature. But Claire had come to love it in the two minutes she’d been around it. She knew she couldn’t say anything about this to anyone.

But what about the egg? How would she explain its mysterious disappearance without telling anyone about the dragon? Oh dear, she thought, I’m doomed. I can’t lie to save my life. And if I could, what on earth would I say? I lost it? People don’t just lose things like this.

The dragon wailed again, and she put a hand over its muzzle to keep it quiet. It was probably hungry, she guessed. She looked around her room to see if she had any food – luckily, she had some beef jerkey up here; she liked it, and it was a nice snack when she was studying. She gently pushed the dragon off of her lap, walked over to her desk, opened the bag of beef jerky and took out a few strips, and fed it in small pieces to the dragon. After a minute it was full. She was surprised by how much it ate for its size; it was smaller than a cat.

It curled up on Claire’s bed and dozed off. As it lay there, she nudged it onto its back to see if it was a boy or a girl. She looked it all over but couldn’t find any markings to tell its gender. To her, it looked like a female, so she decided to go by that knowledge. In some stories she read the dragons could talk. Hopefully this one can so it could tell me its gender. She laughed at that thought. If only. She laid down next to the dragon and fell asleep.

When Claire woke up, there was something breathing on her. She opened her eyes and saw the dragon, sitting on Claire’s chest and staring at her with her duel colored eyes. She gasped and sat up, the dragon falling on her back in Claire’s lap. It took Claire a moment to remember what happened last night.

Gently, she picked the dragon up off her lap and placed her on the bed. She sat there, looking up at Claire. It almost looked like she was smiling at her. Claire couldn’t help but smile back.

She thought about what she could do with the dragon. She did not want her anywhere except in her room right now; anywhere else, even outside, someone would find her. But she couldn’t keep the dragon in her room forever. And even if I did keep it up here, I’d be spending a ton of time up in my room then. My family might think I’m, like, doing drugs or something… How on earth will I tell my family I’m raising a dragon upstairs in my room?

That thought produced another problem. Raising the dragon. Of course, she would not just let it starve. She would have to feed it, and her family would probably notice the large amounts of meat taken from the fridge every day. And no doubt it would grow bigger; eventually she would not be able to feed it. It might even grow too big to fit in her room. She would have to keep it outside then, but at that size, the dragon would be very noticeable. Claire stood and paced across the floor, pondering what to do.

The dragon watched her the whole time, tail swishing back and forth. She was drinking in everything she saw, watching and learning. After a minute, she slapped her tail on the bed - making a soft thwump - and purred like a cat, getting Claire’s attention. She stopped pacing and looked at the dragon, then plopped down next to her with a sigh. She sat cross-legged and propping her head up with her right hand, elbow resting on her thigh, and scratching the back of the hatchling’s head with her left. The dragon closed her eyes and stretched out her long neck to its full extent, enjoying the scratch. The corner of Claire’s mouth curved upward slightly, despite her distressed mood.

Claire checked the clock and decided she should get some breakfast, and maybe hang out downstairs for a while so she didn’t stay up in her room all day. She gave the hatchling one last scratch then whispered to her, “Sorry, little one, I have to go. Just for a bit, and I’ll be back, okay?” The dragon squeaked at her in protest, as if it had understood her words. Claire gave her a quick, sad smile, and a quick pet from the dragon’s head to her tail, then jumped up and left.

As usual, Claire’s dad was already up. He was sitting on the couch in the living room reading a book.

“Hey, Dad,” Claire said with a smile.

He looked up from his book. “G’morning. You the first up?”

“Other than you, I think so.”

“That’s strange. Usually more people would be up by now.”

“Well, Eric and David stayed up later last night, remember? They were watching a movie.”

“Ah.”

Claire went into the kitchen and got out a bowl, spoon, box of cereal, and a milk jug. She ate her cereal while thinking about the dragon. Of course she was; what else would she think about? She swirled the cereal in the milk with her spoon. How is this even possible? Dragons don’t exist… They can’t. If they did, we would know. So… where did this one come from? How did she get here? How on earth am I supposed to take care of her?

Maybe she wouldn’t have to. She could just put her out in the forest and leave her there, where she could be killed or eaten by a fox or something; it would make her life easier, and she wouldn’t have to worry about it.

As soon as she thought that, she immediately discarded the thought. How could I even consider that? In truth, this is what I’ve always wanted… something that made my life awesome, and not boring as usual. I don’t know how or why I would even think about ruining this chance… She gave herself a mental shake, then continued eating her cereal, trying to forget about the dragon for a bit.

She stayed downstairs for over four hours, doing just whatever she felt like at the moment; playing piano, playing with Blythe, playing a videogame, and whatever else. By the time she was going back upstairs, it was almost twelve, and everyone else was awake now. She had tried to put the dragon from her mind for the majority of the time; it almost seemed like it had been nothing more than a crazy dream. Perhaps that was all it was…

When Claire reentered her room, she saw immediately that it wasn’t. Her heart soared and sank at the same time - she didn’t even know that was possible - at the sight of the dragon. She was sitting just below the window, staring out at a bird that was fluttering nearby. Her whole body was tense; tip of her tail twitching, head moving in jerky movements as she watched the bird. She didn’t even notice that Claire had come in the room.

“Hey girl.” The dragon turned her head quickly and looked up at her. 

“What are you doing? Hunting? You know, you can’t get the bird through the glass.”

The dragon guiltily turned away from the bird, as if it thought it had been misbehaving, and hopped up onto the bed. She did not stop there, though; she leapt over at Claire, wings spread out slightly, tail flying behind her like a great orange streamer.

“Ack!” Claire exclaimed, and threw up her hands reflexively. The dragon nimbly maneuvered around her arms and landed on Claire’s shoulder, wrapping her tail gently around Claire’s neck for balance. Claire put her hands down, looking at the dragon in surprise, then smiled and patted the dragon’s side with a hand. She was lighter than she looked; just like the egg.

She stayed with the dragon for a while, talking to her and playing with her. Claire had a Newton’s Cradle on her desk – she wasn’t really sure why she had wanted it, but it was fun to fool around with. The dragon seemed endlessly amused by it. She also liked playing with the cursor on a computer screen. She watched it for a while – much like the Embry family’s cat, Tiger, would – and pawed at it. Claire hoped she wouldn’t actually use her claws; the dragon was smaller in size than that of a cat, but its claws were large and very sharp, and would probably do some damage to the computer monitor.

Hours passed without heed as Claire played with her dragon. She hadn’t realized how much time had gone by, but by the time she actually thought about it, it was almost time for dinner. She wasn’t that hungry, but the dragon had not eaten since very early that morning, and she could hear the hatchling’s stomach growling. She went to her desk and pulled out the beef jerkey again, but was startled to see it was empty. She hadn’t realized how much the dragon had eaten last night.

She thought about what she could do. The obvious solution would be to go downstairs and get something from the kitchen, but with it being almost dinner time, her mother would be in there cooking. She glanced around her room for anything else she could give the hatchling, though she knew there was nothing. Maybe I could sneak something back up to my room… Tell Mom it’s just a quick snack… No, that wouldn’t work. Not with dinner so close.

The dragon had gone back to the window, looking around for more birds. Claire smiled slightly.

A sudden thought crossed her mind. She could let the dragon outside, and maybe it could catch something to eat. Of course, it could be very dangerous; someone might see her. Claire highly doubted that someone would, but there is always a possibility. And, the hatchling had not even started to fly; she might not be able to yet. And if she could, who says she’d be able to catch anything?

Despite her arguments against herself, she decided to let the dragon out, and hope for the best – mainly hoping that she could fly and would not plummet to the ground. Claire walked over and looked out the window. The dragon glanced up at her, then stood and danced around wagging her long, spikey tail, much like a dog would. She glanced back and forth between Claire and the window. She obviously wanted to go out.

With a slight sigh, Claire unlocked and opened the window. Before she took off the screen though, she turned to the hatchling, and told her, “Okay, dragon… I’m going to let you out so you can try to fly and catch something to eat. Don’t go flying away, alright? You gotta stay here.” She used a finger and pointed at the floor to indicate that she meant her room. “Here.

The dragon blinked at her. Claire wasn’t sure if that meant she understood, or the opposite, or if it was just a blink. She shook her head. What can I expect? It’s just an animal.

With another sigh, Claire took off the window screen. The dragon jumped up to the sill, but did not go out yet. She looked back at Claire. Claire motioned with a hand. “Go on. I’ll be right here watching you.”

The dragon’s tail swished and she tilted her head. Then she turned and jumped out, spreading her wings. With that jump, Claire could have sworn she prayed a thousand times in that second, hoping the hatchling could fly.

She was about three feet from the house, and the momentum of her jump was starting to diminish, and she started to fall. She spread her wings farther, and with them she caught the air under them like a bright yellow net. Claire released her held breath.

The dragon flapped her wings a couple times, and she started to rise again. She turned around and tilted forward, folding her wings, and landed on the roof next to Claire’s window. Her claws clacked against the shingles.

Claire reached out and scratched the dragon’s head. She beamed at the hatchling as she wagged her tail and looked up at Claire with satisfaction.

The dragon sat outside on the roof, watching for birds. A starling went whizzing past her, and she merely reached out with her long neck and snapped it up in her strong jaws. She stood out on the roof eating the bird; she plucked its feathers first, then took a bite out of it. She ate it hungrily and messily – Claire had turned away; she didn’t want to watch – then turned back to Claire. She jumped through the open window, after Claire had moved to the side a bit to let the dragon though, and landed on the bed.

Claire was amazed by the hatchling’s reflexes. To catch a bird on the fly, as it was going past… What a creature this dragon is, she thought in wonder. She hadn’t even needed to fly with that catch. It was incredible. Hopefully the bird would hold off for the dragon until later, when Claire could let her out again.

Just then, her mother called from the kitchen: “Dinner’s almost ready!” Claire’s heart sank. She didn’t want to leave the dragon again. Reluctantly, she told the hatchling she would be back in an hour or so, then sighed and left.

It was Claire’s week to set the table. The Embry’s had their own system of doing chores; everyone cleaned together, but Claire and her brothers, Eric and David, took weekly turns of feeding the pets, putting the dishes from the dishwasher away, and setting the table. Right now it was Claire’s turn.

She walked into the kitchen and said hello to her mom, who was there just finishing dinner. She saw they were having spaghetti, so she got out plates, forks, spoons, and cups. She put them out in five sets at each place on the round table.

When she was finished, she sat down at the table with her father, David, and Eric, who had come down as she set the table. Her mother brought the pot of spaghetti over and set it on the hot pad. She then took her own place at the table.

And though the conversation during dinner was lively, Claire could think only of the hatchling, alone up in her room right now.

“Claire, what’s up with you today? You’ve hardly touched your food.”

Her mother’s voice jerked her out of her thoughts. “Sorry, Mom, I was thinking.”

“What about?”

Of course she couldn’t say what she really wanted to say, so she lied and replied blandly, “School; we had a fun day in band yesterday.”

Thankfully her mother didn’t interrogate her further. Claire took a few bites of food, realizing she actually was hungry. She had not eaten since that morning.

Though she tried, she just couldn’t keep the dragon from her mind for long. Her thoughts kept flickering back to her. After a while she didn’t even try, and just let her thoughts wander where they please. Quietly she helped her brothers clear away the table after dinner, putting the dishes in the dishwasher, storing the spaghetti in the fridge. She gave her family a few fleeting smiles, then dashed to the stairs and hurtled up them two at a time.
Back to top Go down
∗*∗ṩραɾкωσℓƒ*∗*
Drafter
Drafter
∗*∗ṩραɾкωσℓƒ*∗*

PostSubject: Re: Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it!   Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it! I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 9:25 am

Argh... I don't know why the editing's all messed up. I'm blaming the website! >:l it was perfect in the Word document. Hmph...
Back to top Go down
∗*∗ṩραɾкωσℓƒ*∗*
Drafter
Drafter
∗*∗ṩραɾкωσℓƒ*∗*

PostSubject: Re: Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it!   Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it! I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 9:47 am

lol i know no one's responded yet, so it's almost like i'm talking to myself, but i don't care x3
I'm drawing a dragon for my story, and i was gonna post it on here. For some reason that i can't explain, my scanner, which usually does an awesome job, is making the drawings very light and hard to see. ;-; It's ruining a perfect work of art!
Back to top Go down
∗*∗ṩραɾкωσℓƒ*∗*
Drafter
Drafter
∗*∗ṩραɾкωσℓƒ*∗*

PostSubject: Re: Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it!   Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it! I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 12:24 pm

Yey <_> my printer and scanner are at last working WITH me! Sorry if this is huge...

Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it! Ralino12
Back to top Go down
EpiclyErik
Author
Author
EpiclyErik

PostSubject: Re: Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it!   Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it! I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 12:50 pm

The story is coming along nicely. Though, in a sense, it kinda reminds me of Eragon (but set in modern times and such). I never actually finished reading Eragon though, only the first half of it I think. Nicely done drawing too by the way.
Back to top Go down
∗*∗ṩραɾкωσℓƒ*∗*
Drafter
Drafter
∗*∗ṩραɾкωσℓƒ*∗*

PostSubject: Re: Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it!   Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it! I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 1:09 pm

Urgh, i was afraid someone would say that... I've read Eragon, and the entire series, actually... I was trying to be careful so the stories weren't too similar. :c  Woohoo, edit number 236,183, here i come! >_<
And thank you :3 I worked like crazy on that for 3 days straight, it better be good...
Back to top Go down
EpiclyErik
Author
Author
EpiclyErik

PostSubject: Re: Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it!   Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it! I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 1:35 pm

It's not too much like it. So I don't think it will be a big deal. It just seems like it was your inspiration?
Back to top Go down
∗*∗ṩραɾкωσℓƒ*∗*
Drafter
Drafter
∗*∗ṩραɾкωσℓƒ*∗*

PostSubject: Re: Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it!   Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it! I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 1:43 pm

You could say that. Wink The Inheritance Cycle (or the Eragon series, in case you don't know) was what sparked my love of dragons in the first place. So yeah, you could say it was my inspiration.
Back to top Go down
EpiclyErik
Author
Author
EpiclyErik

PostSubject: Re: Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it!   Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it! I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 1:50 pm

Yeah. I could tell cx I haven't actually read the series. I might. I know a bunch of other people who have.
Back to top Go down
∗*∗ṩραɾкωσℓƒ*∗*
Drafter
Drafter
∗*∗ṩραɾкωσℓƒ*∗*

PostSubject: Re: Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it!   Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it! I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 1:53 pm

Yes! You should! They're awesome! Christopher Paolini has swag. o_0 And a lot of it.
Back to top Go down
EpiclyErik
Author
Author
EpiclyErik

PostSubject: Re: Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it!   Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it! I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 1:56 pm

I might. Lol. The hardest part will be getting to the library.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it!   Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mah epic story :3 please read and comment if you like it!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next